Tips for hydro-seeder
Courtesy of Emerald Equipment
Emerald highly recommends
using synthetic oil or synthetic blends in your hydro-seeders
and straw mulchers
to reduce frequency of oil changes and to eliminate the
negative attributes of petroleum based oil. Synthetics don't
down, they just get dirty. Just change the filters regularly & top
off oil as needed. Most motors run cooler & more efficiently
on synthetic oil.
Keep clutches adjusted on your seeders and make
sure your clutches snap into engagement. If you have a
bungee cord keeping it engaged then you are way over due for
adjustment and possibly on the way to clutch failure. I
saw a lot of clutch
replacement action this spring and several were fairly
new machines that did not get adjusted when needed.
clutches, pumps benefit from an occasional inspection and
adjustment. Whether you have a centrifugal
or progressive cavity (screw or gear) pump sooner or later
need to adjust them to keep your suction/pressure up. Often
the pressure drops on pumps gradually over period of time
so operators are unaware of what they have lost. Gear pumps
easy to adjust and can usually be rebuilt at least once
before having to be replaced. A rebuilt pump can bring new
to an older machine. Centrifugal pumps are more expensive
and replace but generally benefit from an occasional adjustment
or seal replacement. Review your equipment manual for instructions
on clutch and pump adjustment.
If you own a Bowie Hydro Mulcher
or a Kincaid Agigator and do not have an Owners Manual, contact
us and we can provide
you with one.
Don’t forget to inspect your hoses and
nozzles and have replacements ready. Emerald stocks both hoses
even some that probably did not come with your machine
- nozzles that will cover just about any slurry application
hose or tower.
||Winterizing a hydro-seeder
Check List compliments of: EMERALD
for a PDF version
Change oil and oil filter.
- Change fuel filter.
- Service air filter.
- Tune gas engine.
- Clean and flush radiator and thermostat.
- Inspect fan belt.
- Inspect and adjust clutch.
- Clean and check battery and store
- Check impeller wear plate tolerance-- adjust or replace.
- Inspect casing for wear.
- Replace seal if leaking.
- Drain water from pump casing, then pour in a quart of
oil and spin to prevent rust.
- Remove lubricator cup and fittings, clean and
repack with a soft soda based grease.
- Exterior can be cleaned of lime and fertilizer by
spraying on fuel oil or vinegar and washing off
later. Touch up with paint.
- Interior should be cleaned and spot painted.
- Inspect all tank bearings and seals. Replace if necessary.
- Inspect all rubber seals and gaskets.
- Inspect all piping clamps and coupler.
- Remove and disassemble valve, clean grease grooves
and the large plug in the bottom of the
valve and repack.
- Flush all hoses, reels and piping.
E. Drive Components
- Check all chains, sprockets, belts, and pulleys
for wear and proper tension.
- Check shaft couplers for wear.
- Check gear boxes for proper lubrication.
F. Hydraulic System
- Drain reservoir, clean suction screen, change
filter and refill with specified oil.
- Inspect all hydraulic hoses for leaks, cracks
- Inspect all valves, cylinders and fittings
G. Grease Fittings
- Lubricate with hand gun only.
- Inspect tires.
- Pack wheel bearings.
- Inspect hitch, hitch bolts and safety chains.
- Check all guards and safety decals. Replace
- Restock tool kit with any missing
- Restock spare parts bin.
- Inspect the overall machine for
structural wear and damage.
Tighten loose fasteners.
Winterization Tips Specifically for
Bowie Hydro Mulchers:
Clean entire machine before storage.
Clean inside of tank and drain.
Centrifugal pumps : remove drain
plug in bottom of pump
Bowie Gear Pump : grease each fitting
with 15 pumps of grease and turn
a few revolutions.
Leave all ball and gate valves
Add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer to
fuel tank and run engine for 15
Water cooled engines be sure radiator
has proper anti-freeze.
Remove and store battery indoors.
Spray WD-40 on Formsprag Clutches.
Grease all fittings, spray Chemsearch
Lubrease or equivalent on all roller
List compliments of:
We encourage our
web visitors to print out this
their own company
We do not give copyright permission
for any company to copy or publish
on hydro-seeder care and maintenance?
Call our expert and hydroseeding
# (800) 826-8873 Portland, Oregon
Copyright 2005 Emerald Seed & Supply / Emerald Equipment